Philip Webb wrote:

>051102 Dale wrote:
>

>>I switched to udev a while back
>>and have some old devfs files left in  /etc :
>> YES    /etc/devfs.d
>> YES    /etc/devfs.d/.keep
>> N/A    /etc/modules.devfs.256
>> N/A    /etc/config-archive/etc/udev/scripts/ide-devfs.sh
>> N/A    /etc/config-archive/etc/udev/scripts/ide-devfs.sh.dist
>> YES    /etc/modprobe.devfs
>> N/A    /etc/modprobe.devfs.256
>> YES    /etc/modprobe.devfs.old
>> YES    /etc/modules.devfs
>> YES    /etc/devfsd.conf
>>Can I get rid of these files and not kill anything?
>>I already unmerged devfsd.
>>

>Holly's comments are sensible, as always,
>but it's a good idea to tidy things up every so often
>as part of understanding what's going on in your box,
>which is the real point of using Gentoo in the first place (smile).

That is what I have been doing the last couple weeks, cleaning up a
bit.  If it was not for all the compiling and all, I would just start
from scratch.  I have a current snapshot and all the distfiles anyway.
I just hate to do it.  It sounds to much like winders to me.

I usually back up the whole /etc directory.  That saved me when my
inittab files got blanked somehow.  It wouldn't boot without it for some
reason.  No clue why.  LOL  That was my humor OK.

I'll make a back-up after the current merge gets done and slide them out
the door.  The ones in config-archive are from using dispatch-conf
thing.  I generally use etc-update though.  To old for new tricks.  O_O

Dale

--
To err is human, I'm most certainly human.