On Wednesday 02 November 2005 02:23 pm, kashani wrote:

>       Because once you start caring about your db that much it's usually
> easier to setup a crap box that replicates off your master. Then you can
> lock the whole db on your slave and do a mysqldump without causing
> issues on your main db regardless of which table type you're using. You
> also get the added benefit of a hot backup and no I/O hits on the main db.

No, thats unfeasable.. Your talking about little DB's.. I have a 300+ gig
dbs's here and replication isnt the answer. Specially considering it is
statement level over row level.

>       I'm managing five fairly busy Mysql servers so my tactics might not be
> those of the average user making the above a bit of overkill. I was very
> excited about Mysql's instance manager. However if your database has
> known periods of time when it isn't being used, ie you're using it as an
> Access replacement. Lock the tables, do the dump, free the tables, and
> save your cash for flaming Tiki drinks.

Heh, my server is never NOT being used.. Its really idiotic to have to do
full's all the time, instead of being able to just do an incremental..

Like I said, your talking about these small db's.. doing a mysqldump takes
over 3-5 hours.. I am not locking all my tables for up to 5 hours..

Jeff