On Wednesday 02 November 2005 20:39, Michael A Rowley, MD wrote:
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
>  >>> emerge (1 of 6) net-www/apache-2.0.54-r31 to /
>
> and then nothing... for ever... let this sit over night, and still
> nothing... wtf!?!?!?  this was working.

I've had similar happen to me on a few occasions.
The first time when it didn't do anything in quite a while (minute or two) I
re-ran the same command with debug (and possible under strace). Emerge would
do its stuff then print "set +x" and hang.
I think I eventually tracked it down to waiting on random data.
Try copying some data in or out of the machine, preferable over a
non-encrypted medium, or some fairly heavy disk i/o (emerge sync, emerge
metadata, du -s), if you're logged in locally to the machine bash the
keyboard and move the mouse a lot, to generate some entropy while waiting for
emerge to do something.

--
Mike Williams