Ah - a11y sort of like i18n and l10n (at least in how to read it.) I just found a web page calling it a numeronym.

After all your reading, I would still suggest thinking carefully about your goal. The link Peter sent has a good summary of all the "make Xc onfig" options, and I agree with him that "make localmodconfig" sounds like what you want. Extra "Y" or "M" in your config might save you from recompiling the kernel again later, but it makes your kernel larger, and take longer to compile and load, although how much those delays bother you is very personal.

Jack