Thanks.

BillK

On 9/4/22 15:32, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
On Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 02:50:30PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
A new use has shown up named "verify-sig".  It seems simple enough from
its euse description but its causing a large number of packages to be
rebuilt unnecessarily (it defaults to off on my sytems).  Should I
enable it? - I can find much info on it and it looks like it will cause
major user hassles considering its effects so far - I am surprised there
has been no news item for it which probably means its not considered a
useful use flag.
Use --changed-use/-U rather than --newuse/-N when using emerge.

With --changed-use, if USE is changing from to:
   enabled -> removed  = rebuilds
  disabled -> removed  = ignores (changes nothing, no rebuild needed)
   missing -> disabled = ignores (likewise, this is the verify-sig)
   missing -> enabled  = rebuilds

While --newuse rebuilds in all 4 cases.

There's largely no reason to enable verify-sig as you're already
verifying through the Manifest. This is primarily intended for
developers, albeit for users it can give some assurance that
signatures were checked.