> iirc (and I'm about to do it again), Windows just makes itself default,
> and sets boot timeout to 0.
>
> So no I wouldn't bother modifying grub - just set the EFI timeout to,
> say, 5 secs. You then choose between Windows and grub, and then let grub
> sort out the linux side for you.

Ok, will do.

> I notice you're using a second drive, though. At least linux is on drive
> 0, with a decent EFI partition. I had another system with linux on drive
> 1. Windows made the EFI partition on drive 0 tiny, and I never worked
> out how to chain the two EFI partitions together. Couldn't put grub on
> drive 0, the partition was too small.

Actually the free drive is nvme0n1... I was running out of space on that
device so added nvme1n1 and moved Gentoo to that drive. On nvme1n1
partition 1 is 1gig for both EFI and /boot (with a minimal .iso available
via grub as a rescue option if needed).

With regards to windows making a tiny EFI partition on drive 0, i dont
think I understand the issue. I'm thinking I can either;
1. Use the EFI boot loader to choose between Windows and Linux, as you
mention above, with the small downside of having two boot loaders/timeouts,
or
2. Use EFI to default to grub on the second drive with a very short timer
(so its like its not even there) and put an entry for Windows in the grub
config

I will probably try #1 first, then update the grub config to boot windows
and confirm that works, then change to #2.

Let me know if i'm misunderstanding anything.

Thanks!