On Sunday, 17 April 2022 12:13:06 -00 Neil Bothwick wrote:

--->8
> It looks like this is cause my using mixed keywords, amd64 for udev and
> ~amd64 for systemd-boot/utils. Does keywording udev-250 resolve the
> blocks?

Yes, after keywording several others, thus:

~sys-apps/systemd-tmpfiles-249.9
~sys-apps/systemd-utils-250.4
~sys-fs/udev-250
~virtual/tmpfiles-0-r2

But then, after rebooting because of the udev update, systemd-boot-250-r1 has
come in. I can't revert those keywords though, because then I'd have to ditch
elogind in favour of systemd. I really do not want to do that.

So I have a running system now - thanks. If this gets more complicated in
future, I can always try blocking =>sys-boot/systemd-boot-250.

> > On another system, ~amd64 openrc, I was
> > told to set USE=boot on systemd-utils, so I did that and now when I
> > boot I have no mouse or keyboard.
> >
> > Is this the end of the road for systemd-boot on openrc?
>
> I think that USE flag just causes the systemd-boot part of systemd-utils
> to be built. systemd-boot itself is just a virtual now. It doesn't sound
> like that would cause this problem, did you emerge anything X related at
> the same time?

Nope, nothing else. And I forgot to say that smartd failed to start on that
machine too, with nothing in dmesg or /var/log/messages. (I'm working on that
machine via ssh.)

--
Regards,
Peter.