On 25/04/2022 14:36, dhk wrote:
After reinstalling Gentoo with a new liveusb, my system still looks similar to the way it was before.  I started with the existing partition schema and wiped everything and performed a separate independent install.  I am still not sure why the /dev/dm-1 block device is mounted on /usr which is not what the fstab is instructing.

First of all, I notice you haven't said anything about /home, /opt etc. Missing context is important ...

Secondly, vg0-usr is a symlink to dm-1, so I would not be suprised for df to resolve it.

In fact, looking at both the output of mount, and df, on my system they are inconsistent. mount tells me /dev/mapper/vg-root-lv-gentoo is mounted on /, while df tells me /dev/dm-1 is mounted on /.

My guess is that anything to do with initial boot may or may not link to /dev/dm-x, anything after that links to vg as you expect.

Either way it doesn't really make any difference imho.

Cheers,
Wol