On 2022-07-15, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 12:28 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> It looks like www-client/google-chrome just added wayland and jack
>> audio to the dependancies. So now I have to have Pulse _and_ Jack?

> Is that truly a Chrome requirement, like the company Google wrote
> the ebuild, or is this something a Gentoo dev did for some reason?

Google doesn't provide an ebuild. The ebuild is written maintained by
the kind volunteers of the Chromium in Gentoo Project. For the binary
distribution from Google, those devs have no control over what
libraries the Chrome executables are built to use. All they can do is
try to figure out which libraries Chrome needs, and reflect that in
the ebuild so that after the binary from Google gets installed, it
works.

That said, there was no jack audio requirement for Chrome. I misread
the emerge output. The two new requirements that google-chrome was
pulling in were

 dev-libs/wayland
 dev-util/wayland-scanner

You don't have to be running Wayland, but you now need the above
wayland pieces.

There isn't actually a pulse audio requirement in the google-chrome
ebuild either, but if I don't have pulse installed, some audio stuff
in Chrome doesn't work. In web apps like Google Voice

 * I can select my headset mic as audio in, but it won't work.

 * I can't select headset as audio out.

Installing pulse audio fixed those problems.

> I'm curious as the USB disconnect problem seems somehow to be
> related to using Chrome on the host machine for sites that do a lot
> of audio, like YouTube. A clean boot of the host machine, followed
> by a clean boot of the VM and I've run for at least an hour with no
> disconnection problems. I can use Chrome for email, messaging and
> reading newspapers with no problem, but I run YouTube and twice I've
> had USB problems in the VM.

Yep, it sounds like doing audio via Chrome is disrupting the the USB
audio device that's in-use by the VM. Are there Linux audio drivers
for that hardware that you could uninstall to keep Chrome from seeing
it?

--
Grant