On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 4:21 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 3:44 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> <SNIP>
> >
> > Thoughts?  Ideas?
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > :-)  :-)
>
> Do you happen to have an old computer laying around? If so check
> out TrueNAS Core.
<SNIP>
> That may be a option later.  I'm actually considering build a NAS but
right now, costs are preventing that.  I almost have enough that I could
build another computer.  I have a mobo, memory, CPU and such.  I think I
only need a power supply and maybe a video card.  Could use a case for it
to but could mount it on a wall somewhere.  Good air flow.  lol
<SNIP>
> This new fiber thing is going to take some getting used too.  ;-)

I experienced much of the same thing (more data) when my connection got
faster.

Expense of a separate system to build a NAS is always an issue and you've
received excellent guidance from other folks here about how to do it
locally so I think you're set.

A couple of things:

1) I didn't see mentioned so I will - the NAS, being on the network, is
connected over gigabit Ethernet in my case so backups are significantly
faster than using USB drives, or at least much faster than my older USB. I
get about 800mbit/Sec sustained transfers. Once you get the main backup
done the incremental ones are very fast. (Go to the kitchen fast)

2) The NAS, when attached, is mounted over NFS as a directory and I use
rsync to do the transfers so it's all very familiar on the client side. I
think that's important to you today but likely won't be as much of an issue
if you get used to some new backup application.

3) Compression is done on the NAS and is transparent from the client side.
I can browse directories and retrieve individual files. As I think you
mentioned you won't get much compression - close to zero - for movies but
for my general data and VMs overall I'm getting about 40% so there's a big
disk saving. Compute requirements are pretty low. I bought a used MB with a
6th gen i5 Core processor with 4 cores and it hardly works to do the
compression.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Mark