On Thursday, 15 September 2022 18:10:39 BST Laurence Perkins wrote:
> Note that most batteries these days in anything more complex than a watch
> have "smart" charge controllers and so upower or similar can read what
> their design watt-hours and current maximum capacity are.  Also, often the
> total charge or discharge rate.  That plus a little math should tell you if
> it's an aging battery or if your machine is simply failing to idle down for
> some reason.

> LMP

Larger capacity batteries have multiple banks in them connected in parallel.
Some times one of the banks or its controller(?) fails and while the rest
continue to work, the loss in capacity is a noticeable step change.  I recall
suddenly losing ~1/3 of the battery capacity on a laptop just 3 or so happy
years into its life.  The remaining of the battery capacity continued to
degrade slowly and gradually over many years.  So notwithstanding the high
consumption identified by the OP the software causes of which should be
investigated, there could be also a problem with the battery unit itself.

BTW, short & frequent top ups of lithium-ion batteries is the best approach to
their charging, while deep discharge can guarantee a shorter effective life.