On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 01:12:00 BST Jack wrote:
> On 2022.10.11 19:41, Michael wrote:

> > NOTE: ruby 3.0 and 3.1 are marked as testing.
>
> I explicitly have ruby-3.1 unmasked with "=dev-lang/ruby-3.1.2-r1
> ~amd64" in package.accept_keyword, and USE_RUBY="ruby31" in make.conf.

Try setting in your /etc/make.conf this expression instead:

RUBY_TARGETS="ruby31"

as per https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ruby

and if you have not yet switched to using it, run:

eselect ruby set ruby31

> I do not see any reference to ruby in the profile.  Is there somewhere
> else I need to unmask something?  emerge --info also says
> 'RUBY_TARGETS="ruby31"' as its only reference to a specific ruby
> version.

That's what you'd add in your make.conf, for this ruby slot to be used
globally.

> As I said in my reply to Neil, why would this happen in just a handful
> of packages, but not in over thirty others?  mini_mime is the other
> problem package, and it does not use ruby_add_bdepend so there is only
> one line with USE_RUBY:  'USE_RUBY="ruby26 ruby27 ruby30 ruby31"'.

I think it is relevant to how these USE variables are parsed and their syntax.
If you specify the ruby version via a USE flag, then this should be:

USE="ruby31" emerge -pv blah-blah

You need to specify it as above and since you want to use ruby31 wholesale on
your system, set it in make.conf as the wiki page explains.