On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 21:22:40 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:

> > No, but on a box with a single IP address, it makes life a lot easier.

> on my box (1 ethernet and loopback up and one wireless down) it gives
> 127.0.0.1
>
> Seems a bit hit and miss.

I've just tried it on four machines, one of them returned 127.0.0.1. it
turns out that one had

127.0.0.1       localhost trillian

in /etc/hosts. removing trillian, the box's name, made hostname -i give
the right answer.

> A machine with one IP address usually has no outside network
> connection, only 127.0.0.1

I meant one non-local IP address, surely the most common
configuration, this discussion would be pointless for a non-networked
machine.

--
Neil Bothwick

Only an idiot actually READS taglines.