Grant Edwards wrote:

> Nobody said anything about embedding Courier. You said the problem
> happened when the "Nimbus" font was used, so it was suggested you
> embed the "Nimbus" font.

But I don't want to use / embed the Nimbus font at all!

libharu is called by HaruDoc::getFont('Courier', 'WinAnsiEncoding')

This *does* work - the font *is* Courier when you look at the PDF.

But -
- until ghostscript 9.55, in the PDF font properties, the font
  was correctly named "Courier" so that every PDF reader could
  display it;
- from ghostscript 9.56, in the PDF font properties, the font
  is named "Nimbus" instead of "Courier", and some PDF readers
  have problems to display.

The only "Nimbus reference" I have found is a line in the file
/usr/share/ghostscript/9.56.1/Resource/Init/Fontmap.GS which reads

/Courier                        /NimbusMonoPS-Regular   ;

but this line is the same in gs 9.55 and 9.56. So I don't understand
what/why has changed here.

BTW, I now have tried to embed truetype fonts. Seems to work
(although the character outline is thinner, overall more "pale").
File size increases from 29K to 121K - would be OK for me...

-Matt