On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:08:34 -0500,
Rich Freeman wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 9:08 AM John Covici <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.  So, foolish me, I decided to go from a working 5.10.155 system to
> > try latest lts of 5.15 which is 5.15.93.  Compile, install went well,
> > but the system keeps rebooting.  It gets all the way and even starts
> > the local services and then here are the last few lines, which may be
> > relevant or not:
> >
> > Feb 14 06:36:31 ccs.covici.com systemd[1]: Starting local.service...
> > Feb 14 06:36:31 ccs.covici.com systemd[1]: Starting
> > systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service...
> > Feb 14 06:36:31 ccs.covici.com bash[5753]: rm: cannot remove
> > '/etc/ppp/provider_is_up': No such file or directory
> > Feb 14 06:36:31 ccs.covici.com systemd[1]:
> > systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service: Deactivated successfully.
> > Feb 14 06:36:31 ccs.covici.com systemd[1]: Finished
> > systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service.
> > -- Boot 5c394be675854680a9cb616208f374f3 --
> >
> > Any trouble shooting suggestions as to what is making the system
> > reboot?
> >

> Where are you getting this from, the system log/journal?  This doesn't
> seem like a clean shutdown, so if it is a kernel PANIC I wouldn't
> expect the most critical info to be in the log (since it will stop
> syncing to protect the filesystem).  The details you need probably
> will be displayed on the console briefly.  You can also enable a
> network console, which will send the dmesg output continuously over
> UDP to another device.  This won't be interrupted by a PANIC unless
> there is some issue with the hardware or networking stack.
>
> If you can get the final messages on dmesg and the panic core dump
> that would help.
>
> The other thing you can do is try to capture a kernel core dump, but
> that is a bit more complicated to set up.
>
> Otherwise your log is just going to say that everything was fine until
> it wasn't.

Thanks a lot for responding.

OK, how would I set up logging to a network and what would I have to
do on another computer -- which in my case is Windows?  I do have a
terminal program on there called teraterm which can do ssh, but that
is about what I have -- unless there is some other program I can put
on there.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una