On Mon, 2023-04-10 at 10:44 -0600, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> Is it better to us emerge -U or emerge -N
>
> I've always done -N but it didn't go very smoothly it seems to me -U might be
> better option but it takes longer.
> Right now I'm doing -U and it is compiling 549-packages.

Since I learned the difference, I've always only done -U (--changed-
use) unless I need to change the value of some new flags.  The lynchpin
is this:

"Unlike --newuse, the --changed-use  option  does not  trigger
reinstallation when flags that the user has not enā€abled are added or
removed."

As far as "better"?  Use the option that fits your need or desire.  If
you don't care to rebuild a package when a new use flag is added, you
need not use --newuse.