On Wednesday, 12 April 2023 10:27:29 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 April 2023 08:16:05 BST Mickaël Bucas wrote:
> > I don't know if it's correct, I'd proceed this way:
> > 1. Update world first, because some updated packages may be involved
> > in kernel building
> > 2. Reboot with the current working kernel and check everything else works
> > 3. Update the kernel and reboot (keeping the old kernel for a while)
>
> Perhaps you missed the point that some of the world update requires the
> updated kernel.
>
> I'd do the same as Thelma.

Typically, Portage will take care of its own and arrive at a suitable order of
updates without breaking things.  If there is some Blocking situation other
steps would be necessary, but I suspect in this instance just one package will
be held back (VBox), until prerequisites have been updated first.

Since @system will contain the toolchain, it will be enough to update this set
before building the kernel, then @world to finish things off.