On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 15:30:37 -0300, Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:

> I now want to change my user's umask from 022 to 027, so new files and
> directories will also be secure.  I have tried adding to ~/.profile the
> line
>
>     umask 027

That sets the umask for the shell that runs the profile file, not for
your GNOME session.

> and rebooting but it did not work.  I tested by, in Emacs (launched from
> Gnome), creating a new file in my Home and it did not respect the 027
> umask.
>
> So, how do I change my user's umask for the entire Gnome session?

Do you have a separate filesystem for /home? If so, the simplest option
is to set umask in its mount options in fstab. This will affect all
users, except root, and it won't affect files you write outside of $HOME.

--
Neil Bothwick

She's fine, upstanding, and wonderful laying down.