On 04/27/2023 02:23:01 PM, Philip Webb wrote:
I've built & tested the new machine I was planning in 2022
& am at the point of designing the partitions.

For many years, I've used Reiserfs, but it is now obsolescent,
so I need to choose an alternative.  Reiserfs seemed appropriate
for a system with a large number of small files.
Ext4 seems to be used by well-known binary distros.

What would others recommend ?

I have switched to BTRFS for all file systems except root (being cautious). The main reason is BTRFS' snapshot feature which allows me to keep many backup
versions without consuming much space.
I have never had any failure with BTRFS so far.

Helmut.