On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:55:27 +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:

> Holger Hoffstaette schrieb:
>
>> I have the following in my smb.conf:
>>
>>   unix charset = ISO8859-15
>>
>> and Umlauts work correctly either way (Linux <-> XP), but then again I
>
> Thanks to OpenLink firmware from http://linkstationwiki.org/, I've now got
> root access via ssh/telnet to the box. In the smb.conf of the NAS device,
> I find:
>
>     client code page = 850
>     character set = ISO8859-15

Hm..that does not look too wrong, although cp850 is right for Windows
only.

> It is running:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# /usr/sbin/smbd -V
> Version 2.2.8a-ja-1.1
>
> To what values should I change that?

No idea. :( Encoding changed a bit in samba3 and I do not remember what I
did when I was still running samba2, although I remember I had it working
correctly - so it should be possible.
You could also try to set UNICODE in /etc/rc.conf to "no" and see if that
changes anything on the Gentoo client.

good luck
Holger