Hello fellow penguins,

I have to admit I'm at my wits' end with KWallet. This thing has been
driving me insane for the last couple of weeks, roughly since the
upgrade to Plasma 5.27 or shortly after.

Every time I log in, it refuses to automatically open and prompts for
a password whenever an application wants to read secrets. Admittedly,
this is under Wayland which, following from recent news re this being
the Gentoo preference, I decided to give a try. But this also happens
under X11, so I doubt it's got anything to do with Wayland.

I've tried everything I can think of:
- I've double checked the auto unlock guide in the Gentoo Wiki, made
sure PAM rules are in place and kwallet-pam is installed. Which should
be all good regardless, as it used to work just fine;
- I've also oneshot all of: kde-plasma/ , kde-frameworks/ , kde-apps/
, and anything returned by "eix -I# pam", "eix -I# xdg", and "eix -I#
dbus"
- when the above failed to yield any meaningful resolution, I repeated
the one-shot step this time with "--noconfmem" and re-reviewed any
changes from the default configs;
- finally, I nuked all of my $HOME settings under ~/.config, ~/.cache,
and ~/.local and started from scratch;
- and yes, the KWallet was set up and re-setup (plenty of times) with
Blowfish with the same password as my login;

The irony is, I have an equivalent Gentoo setup on a separate machine,
also moved to Wayland at the same time as I keep them both up to date
at the same intervals, and it works flawlessly. I've recursively
diff'd all config files under /etc between the two hosts and, other
than some minor, unrelated host-specific differences, everything is
identical, including configs under /etc/pam.d.

I can get it to kind of work with a blank password, but that's not the
point and is not a viable "solution". Even then, it still doesn't auto
open, but at least it doesn't produce annoying prompts to open.

I've always despised KWallet for its flaky behaviour but for the last
few years it hadn't given me any issues up until now.

I'm truly bewildered. Is there anything I am missing?

Best Regards,
Victor