I have noticed that doing a --unmerge on virtual/* clears away whole sections
of conflicts in a lot of cases.

Doing the same on dev-perl/* is a decent trick too if it's snarled enough that
perl-cleaner runs into conflicts.  But sometimes perl dependencies aren't
correctly spelled out, so you may have to reinstall some of it by hand in some
cases.

And you'd be surprised how many “hard” dependency version requirements are
“softer” than expected.  Using the "ebuild" tool to force it to "just do what
it's told" and install the new version, and then "emerge -e @world" at the end
of it all to clean up any mess uses a lot of machine time, but it can save a
lot of human time.

LMP