On Mon, 2023-07-31 at 14:46 -0400, Kusoneko wrote:
> Why would you want a mail client to also be a web browser when you already
> have a web browser to do that job? I will never understand the mindset of
> trying to include web browsers into everything. Web browsers are massive
> pieces of software, including one in everything massively increases the
> compile time and resource usage of the software it's added into.

This is why webkit-gtk exists as it does: so it can fulfill this role
as part of multiple packages.  I'm not defending it, I'm just saying it
isn't completely nonsensical to have "browser as a library/module".

> > Composing HTML also e-mails requires a web-engine. Sure, you can do
> > that using emacs, markdown mode, a web browser for previewing, and so
> > on. It's a lot of work.
>
> I don't get the point of composing HTML emails. Let's be honest here, unless
> you're writing emails as part of a company with complicated messes of html
> signatures or marketing emails, the only difference between composing a plain
> text email and a html email for most people is unnoticeable.

Or your company forcibly converts emails to HTML so that it can apply a
signature, and you have no say in the matter.  Like mine.  So I write
HTML mails from the get-go so I can have a (better) chance to ensure
they are formatted correctly.