Hello list,

I decided to find out why the kernel had trouble loading the r8169 module on my
Intel NUC server. I found
<https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1061944-start-0.html> which seemed to
tell me all I needed to know.

I got this result after installing sys-apps/fwts and running it:

---------------------
Test 1 of 2: PCIe ASPM ACPI test.
PCIe ASPM is not controlled by Linux kernel.

ADVICE: BIOS reports that Linux kernel should not modify ASPM settings that
BIOS configured. It can be intentional because hardware vendors identified some
capability bugs between the motherboard and the add-on cards.
---------------------

The BIOS offered two choices:

PCIe ASPM support       enable/disable
Native ACPI OS PCIe Support     enable/disable

I've tried all four combinations of those settings and got almost the same
result: the boot-up console output complained that the r8169 module couldn't
be loaded because it was already in the kernel. (I think that's just a coder's
assumption from the inability to load the module.)

The only tiny difference was in the fwts log: that PCIe ASPM was or was not
controlled by the kernel.

Is there a way forward from here, or should I just ignore it and get on with
life?

--
Regards,
Peter.