On Sun, Sep 3, 2023 at 4:44 AM Michael <confabul...@kintzios.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 3 September 2023 07:49:36 BST William Kenworthy wrote:
> > Hi , I used to be able to get old ebuilds from "the attic" but I cant
> > find it on google - is it still around?
>
> Perhaps have a look here at the archives?
>
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/

The archives will only contain data migrated from CVS - so only things
from more than a few years ago.

You want to look into the main repo for anything recently deleted.

> > * gentoo has moved dev-embedded/reedsolomon to dev-embedded/reedsolo
> > (then removing the old ebuilds) breaking my homeassistant install
> > easiest fix is a local copy until HA catches up.

Both CVS and git maintain a record of anything that has been deleted,
but they do it differently.  The attic directory in CVS contains
anything deleted from CVS.  In git you need to search the commit
history for these files.

This can be done via the website, though the search capability is a
little limited.  I ended up having to search from a local clone
because your package name contains an error and the web search found
nothing.

To find your file, go to:
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/
Go to the search box in the top right and search for:
dev-python/reedsolomon     (note that the package category is
different from what was in your email)
Find the commit one commit before the one that removed your package.
(ie one that contains your package in its most recent version)  If you
find the one that deleted your file, then just look at the parent in
the commit header and click on that to go back one version where it is
still present.
Click the tree hash to browse the historical version of the repository
that existed before your file was deleted.
For example, you can find v1.6.1 of that package at:
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/dev-python/reedsolomon/reedsolomon-1.6.1.ebuild?id=149a131188ebce76a87fd8363fb212f5f1620a02

If the search function is too limiting on the website, here is how to
do it from a local checkout.  This is what I ended up doing since you
had the wrong package name.

Note that the first step here requires a few minutes and a few GB of
space.  My search example is also a bit broader than it would have to
be, but you got the package category wrong and searching for
"dev-embedded/reedsolomon" turned up nothing.

git clone https://anongit.gentoo.org/git/repo/gentoo.git
cd gentoo
git log --all --full-history --raw --no-merges -- "**/reedsolomon/*"

Then browse through the history for the file you're interested in.
Suppose you want reedsolomon-1.6.1.ebuild.
Easiest way to do that is to find a commit just before it was deleted,
so just search the log for that filename.  Ignore the first commit
where it comes up, which is where the file was deleted (if you examine
that commit the file will be missing, since it was deleted).  Go to
the next one.
So reedsolomon-1.6.1.ebuild was deleted in commit
beedaf82bd7abd72a654e26627774aef38590149.  The next commit in the log
search is 149a131188ebce76a87fd8363fb212f5f1620a02,

git checkout 149a131188ebce76a87fd8363fb212f5f1620a02
cd dev-python/reedsolomon
cat reedsolomon-1.6.1.ebuild

You can also see this on the web interface at:
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/dev-python/reedsolomon/reedsolomon-1.6.1.ebuild?id=149a131188ebce76a87fd8363fb212f5f1620a02

The web git interface is capable of displaying past commits.  It just
can't search for wildcards/etc.

--
Rich