On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 11:19 AM Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/09/2023 22:19, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > chromium has been building since 10:14, it's now 21:16 and still going
> > so 9 hours at least on this machine to build a browser - almost as bad
> > as openoffice at it's worst (regularly took 12 hours). Nodejs also took
> > a while, but I didn't record time.
>
> What's your CPU and how much RAM? Even on my older system I had (an
> 4-core i5 2500K) libreoffice took like 2 hours or so to build.
>

> > What other packages have huge build times?
>
> IIRC, dev-qt/qtwebengine is one of the heaviest when it comes to build
> times.
>
> Anyway, a nice way to cut down on build times is to build on tmpfs. To
> do that however with heavy packages like that, I had to upgrade to 32GB
> RAM. There was a large price drop in the memory market a couple months
> ago, so I snatched a 32GB DDR4 3600 kit (2x16GB) for like 80€. So now
> with plenty of RAM, I configured a 14GB tmpfs in /var/tmp/portage. I
> never hit swap when emerging.

That's not an option for me, this is a corporate laptop with 16G RAM and a
case I may not open :-)
I'm not interested in a remote build host or distcc either

But anyways, this is not really about how to deal with long compiles, I was
asking what current packages take a long time after a 5 year absence.

The answer is what it was always - browsers and libreoffice. I do recall
icu being a bit of a beast back then

Alan

--
Alan McKinnon