On Wednesday, 13 September 2023 12:50:20 BST Wols Lists wrote:
> On 13/09/2023 12:28, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > A thought on compiling, which I hope some devs will read: I was tempted to
> > push the system hard at first, with load average and jobs as high as I
> > thought I could set them. I've come to believe, though, that job control
> > by portage and /usr/bin/make is weak at very high loads, because I would
> > usually find that a few packages had failed to compile; also that some
> > complex programs were sometimes unstable. Therefore I've had to throttle
> > the system to be sure(r) of correctness. Seems a waste.

> Bear in mind a lot of systems are thermally limited and can't run at
> full pelt anyway ...

No doubt, but apparently not this box: I run it 24x7 with all 24 CPU threads
fully loaded with floating-point calculations, which make a good deal more heat
than 'mere' compiling with (I assume) integer arithmetic.   :)

> You might find it's actually better (and more efficient) to run at lower
> that the CPU regularly goes into thermal throttling under heavy load,
> and also that using a couple of cores lightly is more efficient than
> using one core heavily.

See above; besides, I have to limit the load anyway when compiling, for the
reasons I gave last time.

> It's so difficult to know what's best ... (because too many people make
> decisions based on their interests, and then when you come along their
> decisions may conflict with each other and certainly conflict with you ...)

I agree with you there Wol, even without the parenthesis.  :)

--
Regards,
Peter.