Am Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 02:59:22PM -0400 schrieb Rich Freeman:

> > I have a four-bay NAS with server board (ASRock Rack E3C224D2I), actually my
> > last surviving Gentoo system. ;-) With IPMI-Chip (which alone takes several
> > watts), 16 GiB DDR3-ECC, an i3-4170 and 4×6 TB, it draws around 33..35 W
> > from the plug at idle — that is after I enabled all powersaving items in
> > powertop. Without them, it is around 10 W more. It has two gigabit ports
> > (plus IPMI port) and a 300 W 80+ gold PSU.
>
> That's an ITX system though, and a very old one at that.

Well, you asked for entry-point server hardware with low idle consumption.
;-)

I built it in November 2016. Even then it was old componentry, but I wanted
to save €€€ and it was enough for my needs. I installed a Celeron G1840 for
33 € because I thought it would be enough. I tested its AES performance
beforehand (because it didn’t have AES-NI) and with 155 MB/s it was enough
to saturate GbE. But since I ran ZFS on LUKS at the time (still do, until I
change the setup for more capacity), I ran into a bottleneck during scrubs.
So after a year, I paid over 100 € for the i3 which I should have bought
from the get-go. :-/

> Not sure how
> useful more PCIe lanes are in a form factor like that.

Modern boards might come with NVMe slots that can be re-purposed for
external cards.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

The more cheese, the more holes.  The more holes, the less cheese.
Ergo: the more cheese, the less cheese!