On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 5:48 AM Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 19 September 2023 10:14:42 BST William Kenworthy wrote:
> > That is where you set per package compiler parameters by overriding
> > make.conf settings.
>
> And which make.conf setting might achieve what I want? Careful reading of the
> make.conf man page hasn't revealed anything relevant.

There isn't one.  At best there is -l which regulates jobs by system
load, but there is nothing that takes into account RAM use.

I just use package.env to limit jobs on packages that I know are RAM-hungry.

Right now my list includes:
calligra
qtwebengine
qtwebkit
ceph
nodejs
passwdqc
scipy
pandas
spidermonkey

(It has been ages since I've pruned the list, and of course what is
"too much RAM" will vary.)

The other thing I will tweak is avoiding building in a tmpfs.
Obviously anything that is RAM constrained is a good contender for not
using a tmpfs, but there are also packages that just have really large
build directories that otherwise don't need to much RAM when building.

--
Rich