On Sat, Sep 23, 2023 at 11:05 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not to clear on this but it looks like it is using 'aes-xts-plain64'
> to me.  If so, is that good enough?  Is there better?

You are using the defaults, which is what you should be using, as
they're very secure.  As far as I'm aware there is no known attack on
AES that is faster than a brute force attack, and a brute-force attack
on AES itself is not practical.  I think it is unlikely that anybody
knows of an attack on the cipher, but of course that cannot be ruled
out.  Current estimates of the time required to brute-force AES are in
the billions of years.

If somebody wanted to decrypt the drive without your knowledge, the
only practical attacks would be to evesdrop on you somehow to capture
your passphrase, or to brute force your passphrase.  LUKS is designed
to make a brute-force attack on a passphrase impractical as long as it
is reasonably long.  On typical hardware it should take a full second
or two to make one decryption attempt on the passphrase - obviously an
attacker could have more sophisticated hardware available but to even
be able to attempt tens of thousands of guesses per second would
require a very large expense, and your passphrase should be long
enough to make that search very long.

The most likely attack would be evesdropping.  Stopping that requires
good physical security, and also keeping any malware out of your
bootloader.  Unfortunately, the latter is generally not something
linux distros do much to prevent.  Corporate laptops running windows
are typically set up to protect against this using a TPM and secure
boot.  I'm not sure if any linux distros support a fully signed boot
processes up to disk decryption - doing that on Gentoo would be tricky
since the OS is being modified so often.  A release-based distro could
do it a bit more easily - just stick the essential bits in a squashfs
and sign everything up to that point, and use secure boot.

Then of course if an attacker didn't mind you knowing about their
intrusion, they could use the rubber hose method.  The only way to
defeat that sort of thing is to have some trusted external agent
involved in the process who could revoke your own access to your
device (think TPM and remote attestation to secure the boot chain plus
online authentication required for the device to obtain the session
key - though at that point you'd probably also just run a thin client
and keep the bulk of the data someplace more secure).

--
Rich