Dale wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> 2) You suggest these enclosures are identical, but in a quick search
>> for specs the Rosewill appears to support drives up to 6TB but the
>> StarTech only supports up to 4TB. What size drives are you using?
>>
>> https://media.startech.com/cms/pdfs/sat3510bu2e_datasheet.pdf
>>
>> https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rx304-apu3-35b/p/N82E16817182316
>>
>> If those specs are the right ones the enclosures are not identical.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Mark
>

> I meant the info in the messages file when powering up the drives were
> the same.  The enclosures are a bit different but they are all eSATA.
> I did swap out the enclosure and the other did the same. I may put
> that drive in a Rosewill and see if it works as it should then,
> eliminate the drive as a problem.  I have three Rosewill and two
> Startech.
>
> I've seen those limited to smaller sizes in the past.  Generally tho,
> they always work regardless of size unless they really small like
> older IDE drives or something.  I read once what causes that and don't
> buy those.  Usually if I read it in the description, my bell goes
> off.  I haven't seen one that is actually limited in ages.
>
> Good idea tho.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Here's a update.  I really don't like restarting lvm when I'm logged
into my desktop and everything.  It has never hurt anything in the past
but still, it could mess up something.  So, I removed the 10TB hard
drive from the Startech enclosure and put it in a spare Rosewill
enclosure.  I powered it up, it sees the drive itself but does not add
the LVM part I need to decrypt just like before.  I restarted LVM and
there it is, the LVM part I need.  So, it isn't the enclosure, it
appears to be the drive itself which is really confusing.  I've never
had any hard drive to do this even when I'm starting with a fresh drive
and setting it up.  Everything gets added as I set it up.  Everything
from partition table to the encrypted file system.

I may just redo this drive from scratch.  Use dd to erase the partition
table and even some data, after all it is encrypted already, and start
from scratch.  Maybe I did something wrong and didn't notice it.  I dunno.

I just wanted to update with this info just in case someone else runs
into this issue.  No real solution yet but will post back if restarting
from scratch fixes it.

Dale

:-)  :-)