On Thursday, December 21, 2023 8:53:05 A.M. AEDT Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have a couple of older, by today's standards not very powerful,
> laptops and I was considering setting up some sort of network monitoring
> aimed mostly at watching for intrusion events but also just network traffic
> and resource issues. I'm wondering what you all might be using for that
> sort of stuff in the home environment? The network has Linux, Windows,
> Chromebox and Android devices along with a number of smart TV's.
>
>    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I haven't used any of them, but this article lists 6 options.
I'd already heard of Kali, but you might find what you are after here:

https://www.comptia.org/blog/linux-distributions-for-ethical-hacking-and-pen-testing

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC.     http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
  Asking for technical help in newsgroups?  Read this first: