On Sat, Jan 6, 2024 at 3:56 AM Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 06/01/2024 00:54, John Blinka wrote:
> > I’ve often found that it gives one estimate when multiple packages are
> > being built, then a much longer estimate for still-in-progress builds
> > once some of the builds have finished.
> >
> > That result defies common sense. Less remaining work has to take less,
> > not more (much more), time.
>
> Common sense isn't common and, well, often doesn't make sense.
>
> If there's a bunch of small builds skewing the "time per build" estimate
> down, as they drop off the list the estimated time per build will go up,
> and if the skew is serious enough it can even make the total estimated
> time go up ...

I don’t follow you. What is the source of this “skew”? Why should more
available processing power/less load cause builds to run more slowly? I’d
really like to  understand your point.

I have observed what I reported above many times, often when there are 2
builds running, a long one and a shorter one. Once the shorter one ends ,
the longer one’s time estimate via genlop increases , sometimes by 2x. And
it doesn’t actually take 2x longer - the new estimate is just grossly
wrong. Invoking skew or common sense being uncommon/wrong doesn’t change my
and the original poster’s observations that genlop sometimes gives really
bad time estimates. Something’s not right.

Respectfully

John