Michael,

On Sunday, 2024-01-07 14:21:20 -0500, you wrote:

> I do have to follow up on this, the package was renamed,

Bingo!  That's it.   Soon after my last routine  upgrade which installed
"media-video/vlc" version 3.0.20-r2  and its new dependency "media-libs/
libmpg123"  I inadvertently run another  "emaint sync"  which caused the
"-r2" version of "vlc"  not being available any longer and the now avai-
lable version "-r3" with its renamed dependency not yet being installed.

So another upgrade (currently running) will indeed resolve this.

Many thanks :-)

Sincerely,
  Rainer