On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 12:25:22 +0100 Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bruno Lustosa wrote:
> > On 11/7/05, *Khan* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to convert my windows-1250 database to Unicode,
> > > UTF-8. Is there any script that can do the job?
> >
> > What kind of database is it?
> > If it's something the likes of postgresql or mysql, you could dump
> > the database to a text file, use recode or iconv to change the file
> > encoding, and then import it into a new unicode database.
>
> Yes, that's just what I want to do. Database is MySQL. Can you PLS
> explain procedure, I have never done that before.

As far as I know you can change the character set directly in  MySQL.
The data will be converted automagically. For example,

ALTER TABLE foo DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci

You can create a new table and test it with some garbage data before you
do this. And create a backup ;-)

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.