Philip,

On Wednesday, 2024-01-17 22:28:27 -0500, you wrote:

> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.

If all else fails,  you could use "adb"  from package "dev-util/android-
tools".   However,  "adb" requires "USB Debugging"  to be enabled on the
cell phone.   This option can be found under  "Settings -> Developer Op-
tions"  (if the "Developer Options"  are still hidden  in the "Settings"
menu,  make them visible once and forever by opening  "Settings -> About
Device -> Software Information" and tapping "Build Number" seven times).

Sincerely,
  Rainer