On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 18:15:09 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
> I need to set up some sort of automated backup on a couple Gentoo
> machines (typical desktop software development and home use). One of
> them used rsnapshot in the past but the crontab entries that drove
> that have vanished :/ (presumably during a reinstall or upgrade --
> IIRC, it took a fair bit of trial and error to get the crontab entries
> figured out).
>
> I believe rsnapshot ran nightly and kept daily snapshots for a week,
> weekly snapshots for a month, and monthly snapshots for a couple
> years.
>
> Are there other backup solutions that people would like to suggest I
> look at to replace rsnapshot?  I was happy enough with rsnapshot (when
> it was running), but perhaps there's something else I should consider?
>
> --
> Grant

You have probably seen the backup packages suggested in this wiki page?

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Backup

and what's available in the tree:

https://packages.gentoo.org/categories/app-backup

You may also want to consider integral filesystem solutions like btrfs and
zfs, depending on your needs and how often your data change, as well as
related scripts; e.g.:

https://github.com/masc3d/btrfs-sxbackup