On Tuesday, February 6, 2024 9:27:35 PM CET Wols Lists wrote:
> On 06/02/2024 13:12, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> >> Clearly Oracle likes this state of affairs.  Either that, or they are
> >> encumbered in some way from just GPLing the ZFS code.  Since they on
> >> paper own the code for both projects it seems crazy to me that this
> >> situation persists.
> >
> > GPL is not necessarily the best license for releasing code. I've got some
> > private projects that I could publish. But before I do that, I'd have to
> > decide on a License. I would prefer something other than GPL.
>
> Okay. What do you want to achieve. Let's just lump licences into two
> categories to start with and ask the question "Who do you want to free?"

I want my code to be usable by anyone, but don't want anyone to fork it and
start making money off of it without giving me a fair share.

> If that sounds weird, it's because both Copyleft and Permissive claim to
> be free, but have completely different target audiences. Once you've
> answered that question, it'll make choosing a licence so much easier.
>
> GPL gives freedom to the END USER. It's intended to protect the users of
> your program from being held to ransom.

That's not how the kernel devs handle the GPL. They use it to remove choice
from the end user (me) to use what I want (ZFS).
And it's that which I don't like about the GPL.

> Permissive gives freedom to the DEVELOPER. It's intended to let other
> programmers take advantage of your code and use it.
>
> Once you've decided what sort of licence you want, it'll be easier to
> decide what licence you want.

See above

--
Joost