Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I did my update and noticed the message about changes to kernel
> packages.  Depending on how I read it, it sounds like gentoo-sources is
> still available just that older versions are no longer updated as long.
> If I read it a different way, it sounds like gentoo-sources is about to
> stop existing.  That last one doesn't sound right.  I can't imagine it
> just going away since there are Gentoo specific stuff in there, openrc I
> think being one option lurking about somewhere.  I think there is others
> but been a while since I been poking around in there.  gentoo-sources is
> hanging around right?
>
> Currently I'm running 5.14.15 gentoo-sources kernel.  It works but is
> old.  No new types of hardware.  Most stuff I buy is older just because
> it tends to be more supported anyway.  I tried a good while back to
> upgrade to 6.1.55 which sort of boots I think but something doesn't work
> and all I get is a console.  It's been a while since I tried it but it
> did fail several times.  I did the upgrade the usual way.  I used make
> oldconfig and went through all the answers which are mostly no since I
> still have old hardware.  Is there a better way than oldconfig?  Is
> there a way to start from scratch and list all the stuff that is on in
> the old kernel and then compare that to the newer kernel so I can just
> enable what is different but I need?  I'd rather avoid going through all
> the menus hoping I recognize everything.  I forget what I went to the
> kitchen for.  Remembering kernel options from years ago is likely to not
> end well.  :/
>
> Is it possible that version of kernel had bad bugs that made it a bad
> idea with hindsight?  I plan to upgrade to the newest version in the
> tree if I try again.
>
> Any thoughts?  Ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Update.  As some know, I rarely reboot.  Today, I rebooted.  I had to
replace UPS batteries.  I had a problem but will start another thread
about that shortly.  I finally got a newer kernel that works.
Awesome!!!!  I'm on version 6.7.1-gentoo now.  I figured out what wasn't
working before, the mouse.  I had a pointer but it wouldn't move.  I
found the mouse stuff on the wiki and for some silly reason, the needed
options wasn't enabled in the kernel by default.  Why someone wouldn't
set a mouse to enabled by default is beyond me.  I suspect the defaults
came from the kernel sources not Gentoo devs tho.  Anyway, I rebooted
and despite my other problem I had to fix, everything works now.

I'm gonna try to update more often but not booting very often makes that
kinda hard.  :/  At least I got a few years to worry about upgrading
kernels again.  ;-)

Thanks to all.

Dale

:-)  :-)