On Friday, 29 March 2024 15:16:18 CEST Michael wrote:
> On Friday, 29 March 2024 13:30:23 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > To improve the bootup time of my server, I want to enable "parallel",
> > however, I run into an issue where some of the services take longer than
> > 60
> > seconds to start, causing this to be classed as "not started", which then
> > kills the entire boot sequence.
> >
> > Boot, obviously, goes fine with parallel off, but I am certain I can
> > reduce
> > the boot time significantly using parallel. I also spent quite some time
> > checking dependencies between the services to ensure they are all present.
> >
> > Now, how do I configure a longer timeout? Preferably on a per-service
> > basis, but at the very least, globally.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> >
> > Joost
>
> Take a look in /etc/rc.conf, the section titled "SERVICE CONFIGURATION
> VARIABLES".

None of the entries in that entire file have any influence on the timeout.
I did manage to find out a way by looking at the code:
1) The timeout is hardcoded to 60 seconds (which is stupid design)
2) The only option is to disable the timeout for a service entirely and add a
more sane timeout to the init-script.

--
Joost