I use a buildhost for each of the 4 architectures I manage - binary emtytree installs are not to bad.  However the initial build for low power arm systems is measured in multiple days (for just the initial toolchain, not hours :(.  Only minor problems so far though which is good.  At least it can build while online, unlike fresh installs which mean lots of downtime and more work for me in configuring.

BillK