-----Original Message-----
From: David Corbin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 3:21 PM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel 2.6.14 & Nvidia

On Sunday 06 November 2005 11:13 pm, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Philip Webb wrote:
> > Has anyone got Nvidia to work with Kernel 2.6.14 ?
>
> Yup. In /etc/conf.d/local.start
>
> /sbin/NVmakedevices.sh
>
> or
>
> mknod /dev/nvidia0 c 195 0
> mknod /dev/nvidiactl c 195 255

This doesn't work for me.  If I have the nvidia FB compiled in, then nvidia
module fails to load long before local.start seems to be called.

You can't have the nv driver providing the console frame buffer, then load
the nvidia driver. If you do that, you have two different modules laying
claim to control of the video hardware, thus causing the second one to fail
to load.. If you want support for different video modes and boot splash etc,
use the vesafb, then your nvidia driver should load.
Bob Young