Am 2024-04-17 12:33, schrieb Dale:
I found a benchmark website that compares the two.  Link below.  It
claims about 80% faster.  In some ways, twice as fast. Sometimes those
bench tests don't reflect the real world to well.  Most of them seem to
test gaming speeds which isn't of much use anyway for me.  I'm more
about compiling and such.  Just wondering how much speed difference this
would make.  Maybe someone reading this did a similar upgrade or has
seen both in action.  If so, post and share your thoughts.

Hi Dale,

since Moore's Law isn't quite dead yet there is a significant performance uplift in newer processor generations, especially with the smaller 5nm process nodes of recent, after some years of stagnation at 14nm (your FX-8350 was manufactured at 32nm). With each process shrink (32nm -> 28nm -> 22 nm -> 14nm -> 10nm -> 7nm -> 5nm) new CPUs can deliver higher performance with the same power consumption or achieve similar performance levels with lower power consumption. Looking at the open-benchmarking default configuration kernel compile benchmark (pts/build-linux-kernel-1.15.0), the Ryzen 5 7600 (slower non-X) took ~101s to compile the kernel (based on 28 submitted results) while the FX-8350 took ~422s for the same task (based on 4 submissions) [1]. Unlike gaming, compiling tends to scale quite well with core count and for the gentoo use-case the measured performance difference is in most cases similar for different packages. There are many influencing factors for benchmarking like running kernel version, activated options and mitigations so YMMV, but you can test it yourself: there are ebuilds for the phoronix-benchmark-suite in various overlays [2]. You can perform the benchmark with $(phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/build-linux-kernel-1.15.0) with the "defconfig" test configuration option.

Cheers,
Meik

[1] https://openbenchmarking.org/test/pts/build-linux-kernel&eval=9cdcd82c9c47af9df17263e4312f634338dbf476#metrics
[2] https://gpo.zugaina.org/app-benchmarks/phoronix-test-suite