On Thursday, 2 May 2024 00:45:29 BST Dale wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
> > OK, so 'boot' is for the Linux /boot directory.  I was just curious
> > since I had never used one.

When I started using Linux, the received wisdom was to keep a separate /boot,
and leave it unmounted during normal operation. The idea was that a successful
hacker would not, supposedly, be able to corrupt the kernel ready for a reboot
into their system.

Old habits die hard, though, and besides, a separate /boot has been handy in
the copious reinstallations I've been through.

> I've used one ever since I started using Linux and it's as much habit as
> anything.  Given the size of drives nowadays, I have started putting
> /usr and /var on the root partition.  When I build my new rig tho, odds
> are /var will be on its own partition.  That way if a log file goes
> wonky, it can fill it up and not really do any harm.

I do that too. It also helps with backups and new installations.

--
Regards,
Peter.