On Wednesday, 15 May 2024 14:09:01 BST Dale wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 15 May 2024 11:56:04 BST Dale wrote:

> >> There doesn't appear to be a xclip on here, not as a command anyway.
> >> Could it be some other name?  Maybe it changed?  I'm sure it is
> >> something.  I just don't know what.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-)  :-)
> >
> > x11-misc/xclip
> >
> > Or just select some empty space in an application, to overwrite your
> > previous selection.
>
> Well, since it works, something is acting as a clipboard.  It doesn't
> seem to be xclip in my case.  Anyway, that's what I been doing is
> highlighting something else and that makes it paste the new highlighted
> info instead of previous info.  I have no idea if those entries are
> stored somewhere or when gone, they gone.  I'm hoping they are gone.

There are 3 'cliboards', known as selections, I know of:

1. Primary - you select some text by holding down your left mouse button (or
Shift+arrow) and you paste it with your middle button (or Shift+Insert -
depending on application).

2. Secondary - some applications will autoselect text, e.g. when you click in
the non-empty address bar of a browser.  This can replace any selection you
had in the Primary selection.  It depends on the particular application.

3. Clipboard - this is the Ctrl+x/c/v MSWindows style of cut/copy/paste menu
items.

More details can be found in the spec here:

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/clipboards-spec/clipboards-latest.txt

As far as I know the Primary selection is not stored anywhere - other than
within the application's memory space where the range of characters have been
selected.  The xserver will call for this when you middle click to paste it on
another application's window.

The Clipboard may be stored in RAM or cache of any applications which use this
method.

> P. S. My new 16TB drive is almost done with the long SMART test.  :-D

I understand there's a new disk technology about to be released upon us with
laser heating up the area where data is being stored, to increase density and
therefore hugely increase capacity.  Your next spinning drive could well be
30-50T or more!  0_0