Phill MV schreef:
> Every now and then, usually while doing something related to firefox
> ( mozilla-firefox-1.0.7-r2) but it's also happened when someone sent
> me a file over MSN in gaim (gaim-1.5.0), my copy of xorg-x11-6.8.2-r4
> will lock up and refuse all interaction.
>
> All windows stop responding; xmms keeps playing; keyboard locks up
> and the mouse, although free to wiggle around won't cross from one
> screen to another. Logging in from another machine over SSH, top
> reveals that X is occupying 90-something% of the CPU; killing
> individual applications like firefox or xmms doesn't do anything but
> killing X gives me back a working, functional login screen.
>
> This is, as you might imagine, amazingly annoying. For whatever
> reason, it'll happen when I click specific links in Firefox (i.e. my
> professor's labs & assignments link) <snip>

Before going further, let me say that I agree that X is becoming a real
annoyance. I'm at this very moment upgrading to the unstable version
(6.8.2-r6, not the masked pre-7.0 versions; I'm not that desperate :-) )
to see if it helps.

That said, this would seem to be an interaction between 'problems with
X' and 'problems with Firefox' (we've had discussions of the increasing
memory usage of Firefox lately-- it may well be that both these sets of
issues are manageable on their own, but together, Firefox becomes the
straw that breaks the back of X.

So try using another web browser for a while. I myself like Galeon for
my alternate browser, but there's Epiphany, Dillo, Konqueror (of
course), kazehakase, w3m, amaya, skipstone, and of course the text-based
browsers such as links, lynx and so on. I would avoid Mozilla, because
it's about the only thing that could possibly be yet more bloated than
Firefox is becoming.

In any case, see if the problem persists when using another browser; if
it doesn't, then at least you can do your work, if it does, perhaps
we'll get more information as to what is going wrong.

Hope this helps,
Holly