On 28/05/2024 20:51, Jude DaShiell wrote:
My machine has protected mbr with gpt partitions on it.  Are those kind of
partitions hybrid?

This is completely standard nowadays. I think the "protected MBR" just points to the first four GPT partitions.

This is basically down to the fact that (a) the MBR can no longer describe a modern large disk (I'm not sure what the limit is, 2TB? 4TB?), and also older formatting tools - if they don't see an MBR - are known for assuming the disk is empty and trashing the start of it. Yeah they shouldn't, but they do ...

Cheers,
Wol