On Thursday, 30 May 2024 16:48:15 BST Jacques Montier wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> It's not an issue but a question :
> I'm working with a 10 years old mobo.
> I have two systemd Gentoo.
> One (some years old) on ssd internal disk installed with dos partition and
> grub mbr
> The other one (newly installed) on usb3 external ssd disk installed with
> gpt partition and grub efi.
> I manually install gentoo-sources kernels (emerge, make, make
> modules_install, make install)
> installkernel use flags : grub, dracut, systemd.
> I have the same configuration of installkernel on both OS :
> nano /usr/lib/kernel/install.conf
> layout=grub
> initrd_generator=dracut
> uki_generator=none

You shouldn't use the same layout directive for both systems - see below.

> In /boot, the output of make install is different :
> On the internal ssd :
> vmlinuz-6.6.30-gentoo initramfs-6.6.30-gentoo.img  config-6.6.30-gentoo
> System.map-6.6.30-gentoo
>
> On the new one :
> kernel-6.6.30-gentoo  initramfs-6.6.30-gentoo.img (no config nor System.map
> files)
>
> My question :
> Why these differences (kernel name, config and System.map) ?

The old system using the GRUB bootloader in the MBR will install its files in
/boot.  The new system in the EFI/ directory within the ESP.

Take a look at the following news items, which explain recent changes:

https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2024-02-01-installkernel-new-use-systemd-boot.html

https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2024-03-12-debianutils-installkernel.html

Also you should read this very detailed page on how to configure install.conf
for both of your systems:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installkernel