On 2024-06-01, Kévin GASPARD DE RENEFORT wrote:
> Le 01/06/2024 à 22:15, Wol a écrit :

>>> Why not? This is a Gentoo mailing list. Do you mean it should instead be
>>> brought up in the Gentoo Documentation Project mailing list?
>>>
>> That was my sort-of reaction, but for somewhat different reasons. We
>> have a regular poster on the list posting something a little bit
>> weird, and then we have someone I've never seen on the list before,
>> posting a moderator-like message.
>>
>> Seriously? Some complete stranger to the list, telling off a regular
>> for posting something weird?
>>
>> I've got news for you, there are quite a few weirdos on the list,
>> but it adds spice!
>
> This was not a "moderator" like answer, more an advice: Since I
> started to translate some pages in French for the Wiki of Gentoo, I've
> already asked why IRC and not somewhere else, as **the mailing-list**
> dedicated to it. I do not link the oblivion that is an IRC channel, to
> be honest.

I don't find IRC inappropriate, and I myself use it extensively,
although I'm only on (counts) three #gentoo- channels at the moment?

What I found inappropriate was the confluence of 1) saying "this is not
really the place for this topic", and 2) when suggesting places to
discuss this, completely ignore Gentoo's bug tracker.

Some people may prefer one method of communication to the other, and one
thing that has perhaps been lacking in Gentoo is more people reading the
mailing list, which might allow finding out about (and acting on) some
issues sooner.

I completely understand some might not like mailing lists, even despite
their flexibility compared to many other poor and heavy venues that
appear to be "in" or "cool" nowadays. (I'm reading and posting via
network news, using a client of my choosing, that can work on X11,
terminal emulators and terminals, and I end up with styling that I can
easily control. (This is also an advantage of IRC, of course.))

One of the things I dislike, relatively to the other Gentoo venues and
the previous Gentoo documentation system, is the wiki. Maybe it gets
more participation this way, but it should at least not try to exclude
people even more than it already does. Directing people to talk pages
can do that. But that's personal preference, and I'll probably keep
using the other venues, just like I don't use Github to contribute to
Gentoo (nowadays that one is getting even harder to use without JS, and
even with JS it starts requiring newer features and syntax that only few
browsers support...).

> Somehow, it's (wiki's ML) unused, and more "regular" peoples, doing
> wiki's works since a while now, told me that… they do it on two
> places:
>
> - #gentoo-w...@libera.chat

How consistent is handling of IRC URLs nowadays? Would it be possible to
point people to

    irc://libera.chat/%23gentoo-wiki

(or ircs:), or would that fail?

> - Each discussion page for each dedicated subject.
>
> I'm not on the #gentoo-wiki channel to explain how to do things at
> these contributors… doing it since years, or decade(s). I'm here to
> participate.
>
> "Some complete" stranger to the list is happy to present himself:
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Kgdrenefort
>
> Joke aside, I just wanted to be nice and redirect another user to
> somewhere which could be, maybe, a better place to talk about it :).

(Well, one request I have is to please don't top-post in this
list. That's not the common style in this list, and tends to be an
approach mostly from the Microsoft and business worlds.)

(As for the "redirecting" part, another wording would probably have been
happier, such as asking if the poster could access IRC in the hopes of
it being handled more quickly there, instead of presenting these two as
possibly the only venues. That's just it, I guess the words weren't well
received, at least in my case.)

--
Nuno Silva