On Saturday, 8 June 2024 14:40:50 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday, 8 June 2024 14:27:03 BST Michael wrote:
> > I'm not sure the missing file in your error message is related to python -
> > VTE is a GTK+3 widget used by some Gnome based terminal emulators and in
> > particular Tilix.  Could this be related to your LiveUSB, instead of your
> > chrooted fs?  I don't have this file here, probably because I don't use
> > Gnome term to be able to compare notes.
>
> Well, it was a bit of a long shot. But I used a non-desktop tarball and set
> a non-desktop profile, so what has vte to do with it?

Quite.  A non-desktop setup would not sue or require a virtual terminal
emulator desktop widget.  :-/

> > A new python version following a portage update, which is not already part
> > of your stage3, would show up when you try to update world once you have
> > chroot'ed successfully.
> >
> > In any case, you can check the stage3 /usr/bin/python* files and what
> > version /etc/python-exec/python-exec.conf sets as its global python
> > setting.
>
> It sets python-12. Maybe I need to set it to 11 and try again.

I don't think this would be wise.  Essentially you'll be trying to downgrade
python from what the tarball contains and what the current profile defaults
specify.

Bar retracing your steps to chroot as per the handbook, in case you got
something wrong, I don't know what else to suggest.